Monday, March 28, 2011

Catching the Katy: 14 Miles in Dallas, TX

Run Date: Tuesday, March 22.
Run Time: Morn.

There really is something special about a disgusting hotel breakfast. It makes you get out of there quickly and go on your 14 mile run that you have been putting off for two days.

As some of you know, I am training for my first marathon, the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, MI on May 28. This particular training run was 14 miles--the farthest I have ever run, and a big chunk of it was an out and back trace of the Katy Trail, near downtown Dallas, TX.





View 2011-03-22 07:49 in a larger map
---
Total Time: 02:12:54
Moving Time: 02:04:26
Distance: 14.02 mi
Average Moving Speed: 6.76 mi/hr
Max Speed: 8.95 mi/h
Elevation Gain: 2135 ft
Min Elevation: 219 ft
Max Elevation: 504 ft
---


A shot of the Katy trail. Right now, it is only about 4-5 miles long, but they have plans to extend it. I couldn't get "She Caught the Katy" out of my head while running. Not a bad song to run to, though, as it turns out.


Bamboo!



The above image is an outdoor eatery/bar they are constructing for runners and bikers to take a break along the trail.


As I ventured off the trail and into the park, I got to explore unadvertised parts of Dallas. Near this spot, was an interesting phenomenon. Standing in one spot, I could look down to my right and see a homeless camp, while I could look up to my left and see a gorgeous high rise Beverly Hills, Dallas oil man condo.


The park from above.

2 comments:

  1. There were really a ton of people using this trail--in the morning on a work day, no less. It was incredible to see it under such heavy use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet - I love the bamboo...and the bar.

    ReplyDelete