Monday, February 1, 2010

GeoRunning

In geotagging, hikers or simple explorers take photos of points or events of interest. While doing so, they are also carrying a GPS, often within the same device. They are then able to post the photos on a map for their own reference or for novel forms of publication.

I recently purchased an HTC Hero phone, an Android device. It comes with well-revered geotagging software, Footprints, but I am more interested in using its GPS capability to log my running routes--for my own reference, your entertainment, or your bewilderment at why anyone would care.

I will call this georunning, though I suppose the activity already exists under the same or similar name. In fact, the term geotagging itself may encompass activities such as georunning. I am using a program by the people at Google called My Tracks. Initially, this will allow me to post maps and training data for my runs. With more work, I would like to include photos along common running routes, geotagged of course. I would have to stop running to photograph and tag every running course, and who wants to stop running on a new and beautiful course?

We will see how this develops. Let me know if there is anything I could do to make this more useful to anyone other than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment