Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tips for running on campus at night

Run date: February 3, 2010
Run time: Like 11 PM.

So last week (Feb 3), I was working late in my office, and I decided it would be a good idea to hold off on my run until it was late and dark. Straightforward as this may seem, I must present you with tips for running on MSU's campus at night.

But first, the goods:



View 2-3-2010 in a larger map

Tips for running on campus at night.

1.) Other people--they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

While running at night on the dark lonely pathways, you may find yourself a little timid as you see another figure approaching in the night. However, don't break out of that great form you have developed from your hours and hours of relentless training. Always remember that these people, most likely, are more afraid of you than you are of them.

I realized this while passing a young chap carrying a giant backpack. He froze as he saw me approach, and as I passed, he took off running, and his backpack followed behind him after a cartoonish delay.

After all, let's compare the auras of the figures passing in the night. You run up towards a young studious lad on his way home from the library. Remember--as a runner who braves the cold weather and fierce wind, you have prepared adequately by wearing gear that covers all of your exposed skin. Because you are so stylish, these happen to be dark colors. You are a menacing figure. You look like this:

Meanwhile, our poor student who embarks out bravely into the cold has this not-so-intimidating appearance:



Be polite.

2.) Eat something extra

You may be wondering why this course was shorter than usual. It's because after two miles, I crashed. It had been a few hours since I had eaten dinner, and my body just wanted to go to sleep. I had to cut things a little short for a total of three miles. This phenomenon could be prevented by eating a common banana--also known as a "bannann" or "hello yellow"--before you head out.

Of course, it may so happen that if you run late regularly, your body will be used to the biochemical rhythm. Something like that. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Created by My Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 5.86 km (3.6 mi)
Total Time: 30:44
Moving Time: 30:12
Average Pace: 5.22 min/km (8.4 min/mi)
Average Moving Pace: 5.15 min/km (8.3 min/mi)
Min Pace: 3.68 min/km (5.9 min/mi)
Min Elevation: 214 m (703 ft)
Max Elevation: 277 m (909 ft)
Elevation Gain: 164 m (538 ft)
Max Grade: 0 %
Min Grade: 0 %
Recorded: Wed Feb 03 22:31:13 EDT 2010
Activity type: street running

No comments:

Post a Comment